Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Almost there

Forgive the lack of sophistication in my writing this evening, but stage 3+ breast cancer really sucks! Tonight, I have no pithy one-liners or extended metaphors with which which to entertain.  All I have is a simple update.

The oncoplastic surgery went well last Thursday.  The doctors were able to remove all of the cancer-exposed tissue, reduce the size of both breasts and shape/ lift the remaining tissue into what are going to be some nice perky chi chi's. 
  
I see all three members of my medical team tomorrow. We will review the pathology reports, which will tell us once and for all whether or not the chemo completely eradicated the cancer before surgery, or whether there were some living cancer cells remaining.

Either way, I will begin radiation therapy in the middle of October.  So, we are two-thirds of the way through my treatment plan, and so far each step proves a little less physically challenging than the last, but equally as effective. 

However, the mental and emotional toll is catching up to me, my husband, and very young children.     

No comments:

Post a Comment