Saturday, September 20, 2014

Chemo Vs. Tiff... and the Winner is...

In a shocking and unprecedented upset over eight rounds... the winner by TKO is Tiffani "the Banshee Slayer" McCarthy.

Last week I had an MRI with contrast, Ultra Sound, 3D Mammogram, PET Scan and CT.  They all confirmed what Dr. VanderMolen thought might be possibile... "there are no remaining metastasis."

This one is for you Bean!
















The techs, radiologists, and doctors would not have been able to find the offending tumor or lymph nodes if not for the titanium markers placed during my biopsies. The hope is that when they remove lymph nodes and the area where my tumor once lived, they will look at the tissue under the microscope and find that all the cancer cells are already dead. This phenomenon is called pathelogical remission. Fingers crossed!!!   

This is very good news for a number of reasons:

1) Long term prognosis.  While there may still be cancer cells left in my body, they are too few and disparate to show up on any scans, which means that if they do ever reappear in am organized way, my doctors know that the chemo combination of ACT (Andryomycin, Cytoxin, and Taxol) is highly effective on my particular kind of cancer.

2) Surgical options. Knowing chemo was successful made my decision to go with oncoplasty rather than a full bilateral mastectomy much easier. Tomorrow, I will undergo what I hope will be my first and last surgery.  Fingers crossed.  My surgical oncologist pioneered this procedure. It is technically considered "breast conservation", but in reality it is more like lymph node conservation, which is important for quality of life. 

My surgical oncologist and plastic surgeon will work simultaneously to remove the cancerous area of my left breast, sentinel lymph nodes, and any other lymph nodes that might be affected.  For symetry, my plastic surgeon will remove the same amount of tissue from the right side, remove a great deal of skin from both breasts and hitch them up. It is essentially a lumpectomy with a breast lift and reduction. 

Many of my friends and family may not understand this decision. The impulse to just "get rid of them" is a strong one. I, myself would have consented to a full bilateral mastectomy the day I was diagnosed if a surgeon had been in front of me. However, IN MY CASE, there is no statistical advantage. Therefore, I chose to go with the less radical, painful, and  aesthetically jarring surgical option. Let's hope the docs are right and it will also be less  emotionally and mentally traumatic.    
  
Celebrating with family and friends after my 8th round victory!


I love my crazy cousins. 

Melissa (cousin) and I were close enough without having to go through cancer together, but thank God I have her to help me get through this. 

Love my little brother Harrison. 

Niamh (pronounced Née-ve). Our beautiful 11 month old.

Jimmy - my handsome 3 year old. 

Ding ding! Toasting the 8th and final round!

My chemo taxi driver... Niño John (Godfather). 

Carrie, my infusion nurse an total bad ass! 

Hubby

Why all the pictures? Well, while the last three weeks post chemo have been riddled with tests, tests and more tests, I think it's important to pause and celebtate the victory. Equally important, is to reflect upon the toll of the war, not just on me, but my loved ones. 

These are just a FEW of the many special friends and family that are always in my corner. Thank you! 

The side effects of chemo may not be gone. They may not ever go away completely, but I am still floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee!


With Immense Gratitude,
Tiff




  

No comments:

Post a Comment